Thursday, May 26, 2022

I Met A Child

I met a child on October 19, 2019 who changed my life, or perhaps I should say who reminded me of why I followed the calling to become an educator of young children.

Before my grandson Mateo was born, I was told the love you feel for a grandchild is unparalleled to anything you have experienced before. I can say that this is true.

More than love, my grandson Mateo invited me into his world to experience the wonders of life through the eyes of a child, to find the child in myself that was hidden behind the mundane tasks that often times plague those of us who are removed from the classrooms to run the Centres we love.

He is an extraordinary little human as all children are.

We often read about what the adult has to offer the child or how the adult supports the child on his learning journey. 

But what about what the child offers the adult?

If we dive into a child's day without hurry, stress or the need to watch the clock, the gains are phenomenal.

A child teaches us to be still and appreciate the simplest task.

A child teaches us to laugh abundantly and be silly.

A child teaches us not to take ourselves too seriously and to embrace mistakes, he helps us grow.

He reminds us to be courteous, kind and accepting.

He opens our eyes to the beauty of the world around us-to play at the park, watch the birds, climb trees, swing, have tea parties, hide under the blankets, build a fort, chase after ducks, eat many many ice cream cones.

I met a child ....



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment