Monday, October 4, 2010

The Family Tree

Drawing by Dylan


Family is a child's first social network. It is through this group that children are nurtured and raised. As a child grows he learns about the roles and responsibilities of each member and how they contribute to the larger community.



Learning about a child's family helps teachers to bridge the life of home and school.
A group of four year old children was asked the following questions.



What does family mean? Who is in your family? What do they do and why do you love them?

Dylan
I have a big family. I have a mommy. She plays games with me. I love my mommy because she invites my friends over to my house and that makes me happy.
I have a daddy and he always watches football, I like to watch it with him sometimes. Sometimes we even play football together inside the house upstairs. My daddy is fun! I love my daddy because we do boys things like wash the car.
I have an uncle and an aunt, it’s daddy's brother. They come over and visit sometimes but they live far away.
My mommy has a mommy and a daddy; that’s my grandpa and grandma. The live far away too but I talk to them on the phone. I love them because they are funny on the phone.
I have a Nonna and a Nonno, their names are Maria and Stefano. They are daddy's mommy and daddy. I get to see them when daddy goes to pick them up and they come over. Nonna and Nonno speak Italian. Nonna is teaching me how to speak it. I love them because they are nice to me.
Family means when you love each other and play together.

1 comment:

  1. Such a sweet boy! it seems like he really enjoyed expressing information about his family, definately a great project.~Sabrina

    ReplyDelete